Ok, so today I am gonna write the recipe of something that I have always loved eating, but have never attempted to make. Made it for the first time today and it turned out to be quite decent.
Ingredients: Serves many
- Pohe (rice flakes) - 500 gms
- Peanut oil - 5 Tab sp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
- Green chillies - 4 big chopped
- Curry leaves - 20-25
- Peanuts - half a fistful
- Split Futane (no idea what it's called in English - xyz nuts) - fistful or more
- Khas khas (poppy seeds) - 4 tsp
- Hing (asafoetida) - 1 tsp
- Coconut dry - 15 pieces thin 0.5 inch long
- Turmeric powder - 2 tsp
- Salt - 3-4 tsp (as per taste)
- Sugar - 2 tsp
1. Take out all the small bits and powder from the rice flakes using a sieve.
2. Keep in sun light for a few hours to make them a little crispy if possible.
3. Heat a wok and roast the rice flakes a little to make them crispier. Set aside
4. Heat about 4-5 tablespoons of oil in the wok. Put the mustard & coriander seeds in till they pop. Put chopped green chillies and curry leaves. When they start becoming crispy, put the peanuts and the futane in. Let them cook for about 20-25 seconds on low flame. Put in the poppy seeds and hing. Mix properly and put the turmeric powder. Put the salt in and mix well again.
5. Put this mixture into the roasted rice flakes in a separate pan and mix well. Sprinkle sugar over this and mix. let it cool down before storing it.
6. It stays ok for weeks and is good to eat sprinkled with freshly chopped onions.
It's come out alright. definitely good for a first try. will modify it as i make it more often.